Russell Penzer co-chairs the firm’s Litigation practice group and chairs the firm’s Labor and Employment practice group. His practice covers a wide array of litigation in both federal and state courts. With an emphasis on commercial litigation and employment law, Mr. Penzer has litigated cases involving corporate and partnership matters, real estate disputes, employment claims and estate litigation.
Mr. Penzer is admitted to practice before the courts of New York as well as the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. He is a member of the Nassau County Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, the Federal Bar Council and the Federal Bar Association. Mr. Penzer is also qualified for court appointment both as a receiver and referee pursuant to Part 36 of the Rules of the Chief Judge of the State of New York.
Mr. Penzer is a graduate of the State University of New York at Stony Brook (B.S., Cum Laude, 1995) and New York University School of Law (J.D., 1998), where he was an Articles Editor of the Annual Survey of American Law.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Penzer served as a law clerk to the Honorable Jacob Mishler, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of New York and also as an associate at the New York City law firm of Rosenman & Colin, LLP. Mr. Penzer has also served as an Adjunct Professor of Legal Methods at the Touro School of Law.
Mr. Penzer is the Past President of the Federal Bar Association’s Eastern District of New York Chapter.
Mr. Penzer was selected for inclusion on the Super Lawyers New York Rising Stars 2012 – Metro Edition list and the 2013-2021 Super Lawyers New York – Metro Edition lists. He has also been selected as a member of the 2013 Class for the Long Island Business News’ “40 Under 40” award, honoring professionals for their business leadership and community involvement. In 2014, Mr. Penzer was named Corporate LiveWire Lawyer of the Year in the category Commercial Litigation – New York. Mr. Penzer also was chosen as a recipient of the 2015 Leadership in Law Award presented by the Long Island Business News.
Mr. Penzer is the author or co-author of several articles including:
- New York Breaks from Federal Sexual Harassment Standards, New York Law Journal, October 7, 2019
- ‘Dumb Pipe’ or Provider of Content? AOL Won, But Computer Service Liability Issues Remain Open, New York Law Journal, June 26, 2000
- Analyzing Securitized Mortgages on Commercial Property, New York Law Journal, March 11, 2010
- Broad Scope May Trigger Catastrophe for the Unwary, New York Law Journal, May 12, 2010
- Can Courts Force Lenders to Negotiate Loan Modifications?, New York Law Journal, July 12, 2010
- Foreclosure Actions: Is Federal Court a Viable Option?, New York Law Journal, January 3, 2011
- Aggressive Defense is Now an Option in Foreclosure Actions, New York Law Journal, February 28, 2011
- Effect of Recession on Damage Awards in Employment Cases, New York Law Journal, May 3, 2011
- Employment Discrimination: Mitigating Damages in a Weak Economy, Nassau Lawyer, October 2011
- Breach of Non-Compete Agreements: Establishing Damages, The Suffolk Lawyer, December 2011
- Rethinking Tort Claims In Employment Discrimination Cases, New York Law Journal, September 18, 2012
- Importance of Effective Jury Instructions on Front Pay, New York Law Journal, January 3, 2013
- Examining Restrictive Covenants in Physicians’ Contracts, New York Law Journal, March 12, 2013
- Basics of Fair Labor Standards Act’s Requirements and Exemptions, New York Law Journal, June 25, 2013
- Arbitrating Employment Disputes: Factors to Consider, New York Law Journal, November 4, 2013
- Employment Litigation: Building Your Case, New York Law Journal, February 24, 2014
- Bedrock Principles of Justice Are Ever-Evolving, New York Law Journal, Law Day Section, May 1, 2015
- FLSA Litigation: Are We Entering A New Era of Judicial Protectionism?, New York Law Journal, July 12, 2016
- [LINK TO BE ADDED], Nassau Lawyer, June 2021
Mr. Penzer is actively involved as a volunteer with the Epilepsy Foundation of Long Island, an organization dedicated to providing education, counseling and residential care to Long Island residents with epilepsy, developmental disabilities and related conditions.