Steven B. Aptheker, co-founder of the firm, is a partner in both the Litigation and Transactional practice groups. Mr. Aptheker has been an active commercial lawyer for more than thirty years and has practiced in state and federal courts. He has handled cases in different venues on the east coast, including Florida, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts, and has regularly been admitted pro hac vice in several of those jurisdictions. Mr. Aptheker is also qualified for court appointment, and has been appointed, as a receiver pursuant to Part 36 of the Rules of the Chief Judge of the State of New York. He has also served as a court appointed guardian.
Mr. Aptheker has served as general counsel to many entrepreneurial clients and has been the lead attorney on major transactions such as UPREITs and business acquisitions and mergers, as well as a broad variety of commercial and corporate matters including partnership and shareholder disputes, breach of contract, debt workout, brokerage claims and matrimonial disputes for his commercial clients. He has extensive experience in representing debtors in real estate transactions, having negotiated and restructured hundreds of millions of dollars worth of real estate loans, including mortgage backed securities.
Mr. Aptheker is admitted to practice in the States of New York and Florida, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the Southern District of Florida, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. He has also served as an arbitrator in the Small Claims District Court in Suffolk County.
Mr. Aptheker is a graduate of the University of Florida (B.A., 1969) and Hofstra University School of Law (J.D. Cum Laude, 1982) where he was a member of the Hofstra Law Review.
Mr. Aptheker is the co-author of several published articles, including:
- What Does a Real Estate Broker Have to do to Earn a Commission, Journal of the Suffolk County Academy of Law, Volume 5, 1988
- Analyzing Securitized Mortgages on Commercial Property, New York Law Journal, March 11, 2010
- Foreclosure Actions: Is Federal Court a Viable Option?, New York Law Journal, January 3, 2011
- Breach of Non-Compete Agreements: Establishing Damages, The Suffolk Lawyer, December 2011
- Rethinking Tort Claims In Employment Discrimination Cases, New York Law Journal, September 18, 2012
- Examining Restrictive Covenants in Physicians’ Contracts, New York Law Journal, March 12, 2013
Mr. Aptheker was an officer in the United States Army and served in Vietnam in 1970 and 1971 as a First Lieutenant in the 7th Squadron/17th Air Cavalry and was awarded a bronze star for his service. He was a member of the Army Reserves until 1986 when he was honorably discharged as a Major in the Military Intelligence Branch. Mr. Aptheker has also run in and completed sixteen 26.2 mile marathons.