William A. Gartland, a recipient of the Leadership in Law Award from the Long Island Business News and an AV® Preeminent™ peer review rated attorney (highest peer rating), is a partner in the firm’s Corporate and Business practice group.
Mr. Gartland began his legal career in New York City as an associate in the mergers and acquisitions practice group at the international law firm of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP.
Mr. Gartland transitioned from Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP to the firm in 2004, where he continues to regularly advise privately held businesses with respect to business law matters and complex transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, private placements, joint ventures and asset-based financing.
In additional to Mr. Gartland’s transactional practice, he regularly represents privately held business in connection with the drafting and negotiation of various types of commercial contracts, including:
- Service Agreements
- Manufacturing Agreements
- Distribution Agreements
- Supplier Agreements
- Vendor Agreements
- Consulting Agreements
- Subcontractor Agreements
- Broker Agreements
- Sales Representative Agreements
- Buy/Sell Agreements
- Employment Agreements
- Severance Agreements
- Licensing Agreements
- Construction Contracts
- Purchase Agreements
- E-Commerce Agreements
- Indemnification Agreements
- Independent Contractor Agreements
Mr. Gartland drafts and negotiates complex shareholder agreements, operating agreements and partnership agreements, and he is experienced in advising clients with respect to e-commerce matters, including computer software licensing and internet law matters, as well as the protection of intellectual property rights, including the filing and prosecution of appropriate trademark and copyright registration applications.
Mr. Gartland regularly assists the firm’s commercial real estate practice group with the corporate structuring of complex multi-family real estate transactions, including the drafting and negotiation of tenancy-in-common agreements, limited liability company agreements, reimbursement agreements, asset management agreements, private placement memoranda, construction agreements and architect agreements.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Dispositions:
- Represented a privately held global apparel manufacturer in its acquisition of BedHead Pajamas®, a California-based luxury sleepwear brand.
- Represented the purchaser in the negotiation and closing of an approximately $30,000,000 acquisition of a privately held women’s sleepwear and intimate apparel manufacturer that generated between $150 million and $299 million annually, and which produced and distributed intimates by OnGossamer® and several licensed designer collections such as Ralph Lauren®, Oscar de la Renta®, Betsey Johnson®, Jockey®, Esprit®, Stan Herman®, Lilly Pulitzer®, Tommy Bahama® and Nine & Company®.
- Represented a privately held manufacturer in the acquisition of Old Williamsburgh Candle Corp.
- Represented privately held company in acquisition of Le Mystère, an upscale foundations brand generating annual sales of $25 million with products distributed at major department and specialty retailers (Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales and Dillards).
- Represented privately held lip product manufacturer in closing of $24,000,000 sale to global consumer products trading company of its worldwide manufacturing and marketing business of scented/flavored lip balms/glosses, including products from Pepsi®, Disney®, Hersheys®, Nestle®, Smurfs®, Wrigleys®, Nickelodeon®, Dora the Explorer®, SpongeBob®.
- Represented a privately held global apparel manufacturer in its acquisition of a California-based luxury sleepwear, day-wear and intimate apparel brand.
- Represented a privately held global apparel manufacturer in the acquisition of a private label apparel company designing/selling women’s and juniors’ sleepwear, leisurewear, robes, day-wear and inner-wear for brands including Disney®, Nickelodeon®, Warner Bros®, Harry Potter®, Star Wars® and others.
- Represented privately held company in negotiation of $14,000,000 acquisition of warm-wear manufacturer Cuddl Duds®.
- Represented a privately held garment manufacturer in the approximately $20,000,000 acquisition of a premier full-service manufacturer of some of the fashion industry’s top women’s apparel brands.
- Represented franchisees in liquidation of 21 KFC franchises.
- Represented franchisee in sale of 4 Dunkin Donuts franchises.
- Represented a privately held company in the acquisition of a private mid-sized business jet.
- Closed the acquisition of a privately held provider of architectural computer-aided drafting and building survey services.
- Represented a franchisee in connection with the acquisition of another franchisee’s territory.
- Closed the sale of an insurance agency.
- Closed the acquisition of an accounting practice.
Asset Based Financing:
- Represented global manufacturer in the negotiation and closing of a syndicated $275,000,000 senior secured revolving loan credit facility.
- Represented an industry leading service company in the negotiation and closing of a $35,000,000 credit facility.
- Closed a $37,000,000 loan refinance with Bridgehampton National Bank for a home fashion brand manufacturer/distributor of fabrics, furniture, wall coverings, carpets and accessories.
- Closed a $35,000,000.00 credit facility an industry leading service provider.
- Closed a $13,000,000 Receivables Purchase Agreement for a global manufacturer and distributor of private-label products.
Corporate Structuring on Commercial Real Estate Projects:
- Represented buyer in connection with the acquisition and financing of a proposed 256-unit multifamily development within a federally designated Qualified Opportunity Zone in South Portland, Maine.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of a sale of a 216 unit apartment complex and adjacent town homes property in North Charleston, South Carolina.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring and the construction contracts for an acquisition, redevelopment and financing of a 140 unit apartment complex in Decatur, Georgia.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of an acquisition and financing of a proposed 256-unit multifamily development in a federally designated Qualified Opportunity Zone in South Portland, Maine.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of a $4,300,000 acquisition and financing of an apartment complex in White Plains, New York.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of a $4,300,000 acquisition and financing of a 104 unit apartment complex in Hilliard, Florida.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of a $21,000,000 acquisition and financing of a 278 unit apartment complex in Savannah, Georgia.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of a $18,095,000 acquisition, redevelopment and financing of a 160 unit apartment complex in Pooler, Georgia.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of a $5,050,000 acquisition and financing of a 76 unit apartment complex in North Charleston, South Carolina.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of a $3,500,000 acquisition and financing of a 108 unit apartment complex in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of the acquisition and financing of a partially completed condominium project in Covington, Kentucky.
- Represented buyer in connection with the corporate structuring of the $2,515,000 acquisition and financing of a 60 unit apartment complex in Foley, Alabama.
Mr. Gartland graduated at the top of his class at Hofstra University School of Law (J.D. with distinction, 2001), where he was awarded a Dean’s Citation of Excellence and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Hofstra Law Review.
Mr. Gartland is a graduate of the State University of New York at Stony Brook (B.A. Summa Cum Laude, 1997), where he was awarded the Undergraduate Recognition Award for Academic Excellence, an Academic Excellence Award for Best Written Paper, and an Achievement Award for Outstanding Performance. Mr. Gartland is admitted to practice law in New York and is a member of the Suffolk County Bar Association.
Mr. Gartland is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, Sigma Beta Honor Society and Golden Key National Honor Society.
Mr. Gartland plays an active role in the community in which he resides and has served as a member of the board of directors and as Vice President of the East Islip Community Chamber of Commerce, Inc., a volunteer organization representing the businesses and communities of East Islip, Great River and Islip Terrace.