William Gartland, a recipient of the Leadership in Law Award by the Long Island Business News and an AV® Preeminent™ peer review rated attorney, is a partner in the firm’s Corporate and Business practice group.
Mr. Gartland is involved in the structuring and negotiation of complex corporate transactions for closely held businesses, including buying and selling businesses, drafting and negotiating various types of commercial contracts, and asset-based financing. Mr. Gartland is also experienced in advising clients regarding e-commerce matters, including computer software licensing and internet law matters, as well as the protection of intellectual property rights, including the filing and prosecution of appropriate trademark and copyright registration applications.
Mr. Gartland’s recent transactions include:
- Represented a privately held company in the acquisition of a private mid-sized business jet.
- Represented a locksmith franchisee in connection with the acquisition of another franchisee’s territory.
- Closed the sale of a Farmer’s® insurance agency.
- Represented a privately held global apparel manufacturer in its acquisition of BedHead Pajamas, a California-based luxury sleepwear brand.
- Closed the acquisition of a privately held provider of architectural computer-aided drafting and building survey services.
- Represented a privately held manufacturer in the acquisition of Old Williamsburgh Candle Corp.
- Represented a privately held garment manufacturer in the approximately $20,000,000 acquisition of a premier full-service manufacturer of some of the fashion industry’s top women’s apparel brands.
- Represented privately held lip product manufacturer in closing of $24,000,000 sale to global consumer products trading company of its worldwide manufacturing and marketing business of scented/flavored lip balms/glosses, including products from Pepsi®, Disney®, Hersheys®, Nestle®, Smurfs®, Wrigleys®, Nickelodeon®, Dora the Explorer®, SpongeBob®.
- Represented the purchaser in the negotiation and closing of an approximately $30,000,000 acquisition of a privately held women’s sleepware and intimate apparel manufacturer that generates between $150 million and $299 million annually, and which produces and distributes intimates by OnGossamer® and severals licensed designer collections such as Ralph Lauren®, Oscar de la Renta®, Betsey Johnson®, Jockey®, Esprit®, Stan Herman®, Lilly Pulitzer®, Tommy Bahama®, American Living®, Chaps®, and Nine & Company®. This private label business is a major channel of distribution with diverse accounts, both domestic and abroad including QVC, QVC UK and Kohls.
- Represented franchisees in liquidation of 21 KFC franchises.
- Represented franchisee in sale of 4 Dunkin Donuts franchises.
- Represented privately held company in acquisition of Le Mystère, an upscale foundations brand generating annual sales of $25 million with products distributed at major department and specialty retailers (Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales and Dillards).
- Represented privately held company in negotiation of $14,000,000 acquisition of warmware manufacturer Cuddl Duds®.
Mr. Gartland’s general corporate and business law practice includes the following:
- Buying and Selling Businesses
- Joint Ventures
- Shareholder Agreements
- Limited Liability Company Agreements
- Partnership Agreements
- Service Agreements
- Independent Contractor Agreements
- Employment Agreements
- Severance Agreements
- Licensing Agreements
- Construction Contracts
- Capital Restructurings
- Secured and Unsecured Financing Agreements
- Start-Ups: Forming and organizing corporations, limited partnerships and limited liability companies
- Stock Option and other Incentive Compensation Plans
- Computer Software Licensing Agreements
- Filing and Prosecution of Trademarks and Copyrights
- Internet Law Matters
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Gartland was a corporate associate with the international law firm of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP. Mr. Gartland is admitted to practice law in New York and is a member of the Suffolk County Bar Association.
Mr. Gartland is a graduate of the State University of New York at Stony Brook (B.A. Summa Cum Laude, 1997), where he was awarded the Undergraduate Recognition Award for Academic Excellence, an Academic Excellence Award for Best Written Paper, and an Achievement Award for Outstanding Performance. Mr. Gartland is a graduate of Hofstra University School of Law (J.D. with distinction, 2001), where he was awarded a Dean’s Citation of Excellence and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Hofstra Law Review. Mr. Gartland is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, Sigma Beta Honor Society and Golden Key National Honor Society.
Mr. Gartland plays an active role in the community in which he resides and has served as a member of the board of directors and as Vice President of the East Islip Community Chamber of Commerce, Inc., a volunteer organization representing the businesses and communities of East Islip, Great River and Islip Terrace.